IndianRaga Certification: Syllabus and Process
Please click on the appropriate categories below for the Syllabus.
The IndianRaga Certification is taken entirely online. Applicants will be sent a series of questions, and expected to record videos of their responses at home. These video links will then be entered into a form that will be sent by our team. More details will be shared once you register.
The IndianRaga Certification process is designed to evaluate what you feel is your best performance. Hence you get sufficient time to record and re-record your responses and submit what you feel is your best attempt. Once you are ready to take the test, you can send us an email and we will send you the questions. You then have 7 days to record and submit. You can feel free to record your responses as many times as you like and pick the best of your responses for submission.
INDIANRAGA HONOR CODE : Candidates must not take the help of anyone, including but not limited to teacher, friend or family member, during the 7 days when they are preparing and responding to the questions. They can only take help, if needed, for setting up the camera to record the videos.
Submission Guidelines for Video:
- You can record the videos with a simple camera or a phone at home. The camera should not be held in the hand, it absolutely must be static – placed either on a stand or kept still by placing on a table or stool. \
- Each response must be recorded as a separate video. The entire response must be done in a single take, else the entry will be disqualified. Absolutely no editing or post production is permitted.
- For music, the camera must be placed such that the person is seeing straight at it instead of looking down into it. Please make sure that if you are putting thalam (Carnatic) or playing an instrument then your hands and instrument are visible as well.
- For dance, the camera must be placed such that the dancer’s whole body is visible and he/she does not go out of the camera field while dancing. Please do not place the camera on the floor, it must be at a height that is roughly half the dancer’s height.
- The background must always be plain, preferably a light color. If the video has a background that is distracting, we may request the candidate to re-record and re-submit.
- The video must be well lit and bright. If the video is dark, we may ask the candidate to re-record and re-submit. Natural lighting during the day works best, but you can also use a series of bright lights to light up the performer from the front if needed.
- Audio must be loud and clear. For music, please make sure that tanpura or any accompaniment does not drown the main performer’s audio
- All videos must be uploaded on YouTube, and set to ‘Unlisted’ or ‘Public’. If the videos are listed as ‘Private’, then the evaluators will not be able to see them. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the videos are accessible and the evaluation panel’s time is not wasted, else he/she will have to re-register for the certification by making the payment once again.
- We can also accept links via dropbox or google drive but the quality of the players associated with them may not give the best results. Also you will have to ensure that the files will remain there till the evaluation is complete.
- Forms once submitted cannot be modified, so please check all fields before you hit Submit. Once you submit, you will receive an email with your submissions as the judges will see them, so please make sure to double check and verify all information and notify firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if there is a mistake, or if you do not receive any such confirmation email.
What participants say about IndianRaga Certification
Jivitesh says: “The IndianRaga Certification level 1 was a great experience. I loved the way the exam was set up, and the feedback helped me a lot. Plus, the syllabus gave a wide variety of topics to practice, review, and even learn. The results were analyzed by professional musicians, who gave accurate and very reasonable remarks. IndianRaga helped me take music to the next level, while not only correcting my mistakes but also complimenting my strengths, which gave me a comforting sense of confidence. I am looking forward to my next Certification.