IndianRaga Music and Dance Competition: Rules and Themes
Eligibility and Categories :
Open to dancers and musicians from any genre!
You can apply in any category that you feel comfortable, but if you need help figuring out which one you belong to, here’s a rough estimate
BEGINNER : Less than 3 years of training
INTERMEDIATE : 3 to 6 years of training
ADVANCED : More than 6 years of training
- Carnatic Music
- Hindustani Music
- Semi-classical/folk/devotional/regional music
- Movie Songs
- Classical Dance
- Semi-classical/Folk/Fusion/Bollywood Dance
- Digital/Electronic Music
1. For the classical music categories electronic or regular tanpura is mandatory, any other basic accompaniment is not mandatory but you can feel free to have it.
2. Try to have a plain background. Please do not have any portraits or pictures of Gods, or any other religious symbolism in the videos.
3. There is no time limit. Please make it as short or as long as you like, and are able to hold audience attention.
4. You can submit links of previous performances as long as the main applicant is seen/heard clearly.
5. Each applicant can submit more than one entry if he/she chooses, but maximum one entry per each category is allowed.
Last day of every Month.
Results will be announced in 2 weeks
Application Fee :
$25 per individual entry and $35 for group entries. Non-refundable.
Special packages are available at discounted rates
Prizes and Benefits :
1. Entries of all winners will be featured to thousands of audiences on IndianRaga’s social media channels. To see how much engagement our videos get, just see any video on www.facebook.com/indianragaproject and see the comments and shares.
2. Earn points towards the IndianRaga Championship.
3. Top 3 Winners at the end of the Championship duration will receive a select set of courses from IndianRaga’s Educational Platform for free on unique, interesting topics.
The monthly themes for the 2019 Championship are:
January : Your Favorite Piece! Start the New Year with your favorite piece
February : Shiva. Present a piece that is on or related to Lord Shiva
March : Spring/Basant/Harvest/Happiness – Maybe add a folk touch
April : Present an intense piece. For music, it can be an intense raga or composition, for dance it would be a piece set to intense music
May : Lullaby/Vatsalya/Childhood
June : Animal/Vahana/Animal-God
July : Desh Raag/Patriotism
August : Ganesha
September : Dussehra/Navratri/Devi
October : Diwali/Rama/Light
November : Pick any philosophical theme and present it
December : Happy/Energetic/New Beginning